As you know, our February 10 recital is a celebration of Mardi Gras! All of my students will be selecting jazz pieces to learn and perform. To prepare, please complete the following assignment before your first lesson in January (young students might need some assistance from an adult). Answer all of the following questions and email me your answers when completed. Work on this assignment can count as practice time if you wish.
1. Read "What is Jazz?"
2. Watch "Celebrating Mardi Gras" or "History of Mardi Gras"
3. Select one music class from the links below and do the reading, listening, and write down answers to questions on a blank sheet of paper.
4. Listen to at least 4 songs from the list of listening examples below. Write down which songs you listened to. Which was your favorite, and why?
5. Tell me something new you learned about Jazz?
6. Tell me something new you learned about Mardi Gras?
7. Which songs might you be interested in learning?
8. What costume ideas do you have for the recital?
9. (Optional) Explore the rest of the website links and listening examples!